Surgical staplers aren’t purchased by the average consumer, but are used in a large variety of common surgeries. Unfortunately, defects in surgical staplers can cause potentially life-threatening injuries to the average patient. The law firm of James F. Humphreys & Associates, L.C. holds manufacturers responsible for dangerous product malfunctions.
The Ethicon Surgical Stapler
Circular staplers are often used to make repairs in the gastrointestinal tract, allowing surgeons to complete surgeries without spending valuable time on sutures. However, medical device company Ethicon produced several types of staplers that would misfire, thereby impacting the quality of the staples. This malfunction produced serious complications, including prolonged surgery, hemorrhage, shock and even death. After receiving these reports, the FDA issued a relatively rare Class 1 recall, which indicates that a device or drug has an imminent potential to cause serious injury or death. Ethicon recalled these staplers, which include:
- Endo-Surgery Curved Intraluminal Stapler with Adjustable Height Staples
- Endo-Surgery Endoscopic Curved Intraluminal Stapler with Adjustable Height Staples
- Echelon Flex 60 Endopath Stapler
- Echelon Flex 60 Powered Plus Compact Articulating Endoscopic Linear Cutter
- Echelon Flex 60 Powered Plus Articulating Endoscopic Linear Cutter
At James F. Humphreys & Associates, L.C., we know how to fight medical device companies that put you and your loved ones in danger. Call us today for a free consultation.
Toll Free: +1 (800) 763-4500
Email: [email protected]